Dev Bootcamp Curriculum
Our progressive teaching approach and effective curriculum cultivates exceptional technical proficiency in tandem with deft interpersonal skills. Our curriculum sequence and skills map, optimized over four years with input from employers and thousands of students, prepares graduates for jobs in or adjacent to full-stack web development.
Don’t worry if you’re not familiar with all of these terms just yet. In our intensive program, you will gain thorough knowledge of software development fundamentals, the metacognitive skills to pick up new languages and technologies, and the emotional intelligence to land not only your first job as a web developer but to have a successful, evolving career.
9-Week Part-Time Remote Prep
PHASE 0: The Building Blocks
Introduces the technologies used in the immersive portion. Students can expect to spend between 15-25 hours per week learning in guided weekly challenges and pair programming sessions, while receiving feedback on their work. While the practice is remote, you’re not alone.
Skill Development: Developing Familiarity & Exposure
- HTML and CSS fundamentals
- Learn to pair program
Introduction to Programmatic Thinking & Syntax
- Ruby fundamentals
Tools to Write & Collaborate on Code
9-week immersive: building full-stack web apps
Each phase is 3 weeks long with assessments at the end of each phase. Students may repeat phases 1 and 2 once each. Around 80% of student time is spent solving code challenges in pairs.
PHASE 1: Programming Fundamentals — Learn How to Think Like a Programmer
Master the fundamentals of solving problems with code.
Object-Oriented Design Fundamentals
- Object-oriented programming in Ruby
- Working with data structures: arrays, hashes, and strings
- Debugging techniques: solving for errors within code
- ActiveRecord library: connecting Ruby objects to database tables
Team Dynamics: How to Work as a Software Developer
- Pair Programming
- Agile user stories: organize and communicate your software development workflow
Computer Science Fundamentals
- Intro to algorithmic thinking: search and sort algorithms
- Database design: deciding how to model the data your program needs
- Working with databases in ActiveRecord, SQL, PostgreSQL
Engineering Empathy: Build Self-Awareness to Successfully Contribute to a Team
PHASE 2: Programming for the Web — Bring Your Applications to Life
Learn the tools and practices of web development and build web-based applications.
How the Web Works
- HTML and CSS: structure and present your web page
- HTTP response construction frameworks
- Sinatra: lightweight tool for creating web applications in Ruby
- AJAX patterns and scalable design patterns
- Deployment: publishing your code or app to the web
- Time and project management
- Group working agreements, sprint planning, standups and retrospectives
- Git and Github workflow: develop cross-team collaboration
APIs (Application Programming Interfaces)
User Interaction and Experience in Application Design
Engineering Empathy: Understand Team Dynamics and Build Effective Communication and Feedback
PHASE 3: Put it All Together
Pitch, plan, & build a fully functioning web application.
Rails: Leading Ruby Web Development Framework
Integrating APIs and Third Party Code Into Your Programs
- Test-driven development: use tests to guide application development
- Behavior-driven development: use user behavior to guide application development
- Pitch & build a fully functional web application with a small team
- Incorporate feedback from code reviews
- Develop skills to demonstrate & present applications
- Practice agile development & project management methodology
Learn the ins and out of getting a job in a technical field.
- Prepare for technical interviews and coding challenges
- Learn how to navigate salary negotiation
- Develop your personal branding via GitHub profiles, LinkedIn, resumes, and cover letters
- Learn best practices to leverage and expand your personal network
- Ongoing career support from dedicated career developers